Not Just What You Say, But How You Say It
- "Hairy-legged, blood sucking and sexually prodigious, fleas are natural candidates for art-world celebrity" -- Tessa DeCarlo
- "Hunger, obsession, the flaunting of despair - that's the stuff of comedy!" -- Stuart Klawens
- "We do not know what to do with this short life - yet we long for another that will be eternal."
-- Anantole France
- " Reflective thought is the most pernicious habit mankind has yet developed." -- Joseph Conrad
- "Hope is an orientation of the spirit, and orientation of the heart. It is not the conviction that things will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out"
-- Vaclav Havel
- "Looking back on the past six months, Margaret realised the chaotic nature of our daily life, and how it differs from the orderly sequence that has been fabricated by historians. Actual life is full of false clues and sign-posts that lead nowhere. With infinite effort we nerve ourselves for a crisis that never comes. The most successful careeer must show a waste of strength that might have removed mountians, and the most unsuccessful is not that of the man who is taken unprepared, but of him who has prepared and is never taken. On a tragedy of that kind our national morality is duly silent. It assumes that preparation against danger is in itself a good, and that men, like nations, are the better for staggering through life fully armed. The tragedy of preparedness has scarcely been handled, save by the Greeks. Life is indeed dangerous, but not in the way morality would have us believe. It is indeed unmanageable, but the essence of it is not a battle. It is unmanageable because it is a romance, and its essence is romantic beauty.
Margaret hoped that for the future she would be less cautious, not more cautious, than she had been in the past."
- "...he realized that there was no reward for loving except the experience of having loved, and that there was no lesson to be learned but the lesson of humility." -- John leCarre
- "As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life - so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls." -- M. Cartmill
- "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." -- Lily Tomlin
- "Every man is a philosopher. Not every one is good at it." -- Alfred North Whitehead